The Calgary John Howard Society is Moving!
New Community Services Building and Bedford House
The Calgary John Howard Society (CJHS) is currently constructing a new Bedford House in the Manchester industrial area that will provide transitional housing and support for men integrating back into society after spending time in prison. Bedford House offers services to tenants that decrease the likelihood of reoffending – employment and educational programs, life skills, therapy, curfews, check-ins and more. With a home, job prospects and skills for living in mainstream society, it is much less likely an individual will reoffend. This ultimately creates safer communities by giving men the tools to be responsible, contributing members.
The new CJHS office is being constructed on the same site, where it will be the hub of community services for all clients. The transitional housing is being funded in part by the RESOLVE Campaign and the Government of Alberta.
Check back here for regular construction updates and pictures.
June 14 Construction Progress
May 31 Construction Progress
May 17 Construction Progress
May 3 Construction Progress
BEDFORD HOUSE RELOCATION TIMELINE:
- October 2005 City of Calgary expropriates Bedford House due to Stampede Park expansion
- 2006 Sunalta Site Application was approved by the City of Calgary, however SDAB rules against City approval
- January 2010 CJHS identifies 4444 Builders Road SE as a potential site
- March 2010 An application was made to the City of Calgary for a Land Use Redesignation
- July 2010 Land Use Redesignation was approved by City Council
- August 2011 City of Calgary and the CJHS initiates a Good Neighbour Agreement
- Fall 2011 CJHS starts designing the facility
- December 2011 Good Neighbour Agreement is drafted and is almost complete
- February 2012 Development Permit Preview to the General Public
- February 2018 Construction Begins
- June 2019 Construction Completion